Is this coop a good deal?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nergock, May 31, 2010.

1. Nergock

Nergock Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    I am debating between building my own coop versus buying it from from someone from CL. I am looking to house two hens (probably Rhode Island Red). Dimension of the coop is 4'x6'x6'. I live in San Diego where we get 10" of rain a year on average. In the summer, it rarely ever get above 90. Does the coop look like it have adequate ventilation? Does it look secure enough? I don't have racoons where I live but there are possums. I don't have any pictures of the interior of the coop but was told that there are 6 nesting boxes. (I am waiting to hear back from the seller regarding some photos of the interior.) The seller wants $285 for the coop and $50 to deliver it from Santa Ana which is 80 miles one way. Is this a good deal or should I attempt at building one myself?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

For the size, I think it's a pretty good deal!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Price and delivery charge look fair.

You could always add ventilation on both ends near the roof top. Home Depot has the little kits but you'd need a skill saw and something to attach the vents with.

4. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Bump..I like it, but interior pic's would be needed. I've bought all my coops, my husband is not very handy in the coop building department. That being said this might be one I'd consider, and price seem's fair.

5. seattlepeeps

seattlepeeps New Egg

Feb 19, 2010
    I'd say that is a pretty good deal. Materials alone would cost you close to that amount if you went to your local hardware and lumber store. And it would be more than adequate size for two hens.
    However, I built my coop but I took about 4-5 month to procure the materials and built the frames and walls over that span of time. I also did it on the cheap by searching CL for free materials. I did have to buy the hardware and paint and hardware cloth at the store, but framing material, plywood, and roofing were all found off of CL. So It was a fun project for me because I had the time, tools and space (and some 9th grade level carpentry skills).
    Good luck.

6. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    It looks like it would be pretty secure if you attached a wire apron about 18" wide around the base to keep out digging predators. Looks like a pretty good deal, but it's hard to tell what the inside is like from those pics. If 4x6' is the footprint of the entire thing, including run, it would only work for 2-3 hens, though.

7. Nergock

Nergock Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Thank you everyone for the encouraging and prompt replies. The seller got back to me and said he doesn't post the photos of the interior because he doesn't want people to steal his design. He said there will be two ladders to access the coop on the upper level. He also said that he will raise his prices after he sells me this one. He also offer the option of this in blue an no extra charge.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

*I* would buy it. I could add ventilation up in the peak on each side, if necessary; I've learned that I'm handy enough to do that, after having struggled through building two coops. I wish I could have bought that coop before I built my first one...

And I think 50 bucks for delivery from Santa Ana is GREAT!

I'd like to have it for a "teenagers" coop, when the chicks go out full time but need some growth time to join the flock.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Great price I say go for it

10. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    Good deal! If you want it would be easy to add more vents if you dont think you have enough. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by