1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this coop a good investment for a tractor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amenfarm, Jun 10, 2011.

1. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I need a coop right away, but my husband does not have time yet to start. so, since I want one to move around the pasture i thought I could start with this one...
    and later my husband is builting a large coop with a permanent run, so I'm hoping to have the best of both worlds.

hello, im selling a 8ft long chicken portable coop.....has a ramp for the chickens to get in and out of the house......its red with white tirm......has 2 nest boxes.........has wheels on the back for easy moving......has door in front for cleaning and watering and feeding........has a protective layer of 20 gauge coated black chicken wire on the very bottom to keep anything from trying to dig underneath......has cage wire on the sides of this and the cage wire is welded and very strong.......has a galvanized roof and cap so they wont rust.........has a door in the yard...........great ventalation........very nice looking and affordable coop here for your chickens.........thanks for looking..........call or text me at 1-931-235-9220.

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/grd/2422712650.html- can't post a pic, but here's the link. I'm needing an expericence eye to tell me if this will hold up. planning on painting the interior and adding floor covering.

PostingID: 2422712650

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    How many chickens do you have? The run is big enough for about 3 chickens (10sq ft per bird minimum), but there is nothing that says how big the coop part is. It would need to be at least 12 square feet (4 sq ft per bird minimum), not counting the nest boxes, in the coop for 3 chickens.

I just saw that you'll have a large coop and run eventually, so, depending on how many you have, this may work while they are younger...?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. amenfarm

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    that's the problem I can't tell how many it will hold. and I don't have chickens yet. I would like to start with 6 or 8 chicks now. and next marchish go up to 25 total. b. australorp and wyandottos, or a few others in the same large bird class. it is just 2 nesting boxes, so No more than 7 layers? should I email for sq. footage?
    On a bright note i'm buying 2/5 gallon feeders used tommorrow Great deal on the metal type, those ones with the separate cover and can hang, he has 3 avilable, how many should be able to feed at a time? 1/3 or 1/2 of a flock?

4. amenfarm

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
  5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If you have 8 birds, you will need a coop that is at least 32 sq ft and a run that is at least 80 sq ft. The coop and run in the picture is not big enough for that many birds.

6. amenfarm

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    [​IMG] I guess I need hubbie to build it. What about the composite board, will it work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by