Is this coop adequate and how many chickens can it house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jody, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    I went into my coop to modify things. I took out the milk crate setup I used as nesting boxes and built a nesting box of wood so that it don't have a top for them to roost on top of. It's about 14" X 15" and next to it is open space about 30"x 20". There's space underneath as well and is high enough that they can walk around under the nesting box, etc.

Is one nesting box enough for 3 chickens, assuming they can also use the larger open space next to it as well.

I also changed the roost so that it's wider.. about 5.5" wide. Is this too wide?

Coop width is 67" and is 73" L.

Run is 4ft 9" W X 10ft L x 4ft 2"H with no roof/cover << They're locked in coop at night.. as well as if we're not home.

Is this adequate for 3 full grown standards? How many can this setup hold if I wish to add more?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    For confined housing they need 10 sq ft per bird. Your coop is about 30 sq ft, so that is adequate. when you add in the tun, they have an additional 40+ sq ft. However, you need to seriously consider adding netting to the top of the run--hawks are a daytime threat whether you are home or not, and shade can be a big issue in hot/warm weather.

3. Jody

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    I do aim to add netting over the run.. just haven't gotten to it yet.. I was thinking of putting up high poles with a beam going across so that I can hang net and tie it to edges of run where it would be triangle shape so I can stand.. Problem is my coop only has one door and I have to climb over run to get inside of it then open door.

I cut off both the top and bottom of the door. Top has frame only with window screen over it.. This was my idea of ventilation til I can borrow a jig saw to cut vents near roof.. Bottom I cut off completely so the chickens can go in and out and I have been nailing a piece of wood over it at night.

I was hoping I could squeeze in another 2 chickens, oh well.. don't want to crowd them.. Perhaps come spring I'll make something bigger and better and wait til then.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I think you could add a couple of more birds. You have around 45 square feet of outside space and about 33 square feet inside. If you use the 10' outside and 4' inside rule of thumb it puts you a little over for 5 birds inside and a little under for the outside space. As long as they are able to use the exterior space in bad weather or if you don't get much weather that is bad enough to keep them in (didn't look to see where you're from) two more birds should be fine.

Just remember to quarintine and go slow with introductions, especially important because there's not a lot of extra room for the newbies to get away from any bullies you may have in your original floce.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I get a little more than 33 sq feet indoors for your coop. Since they can walk under the nest boxes etc, you can count that area too. Many people don't realize that if you have STUFF that takes up space that chickens can't use, then you really can't count that space as 'room'. Anyway, since you live in a cold climate where they will be somewhat confined during the winter, it's true that you shouldn't crowd them too much, however 10sq ft per bird really is a LOT... it's great if you can do it but it's not completely necessary. The normal standard is 4 sq feet per bird indoors, 10 sq feet per bird for their run outdoors. Like I said, it's nice to give extra room if possible, but I'd say you could have 7-8 birds easily in there, especially if they can go outdoors easily which they will do even in the winter. Contrary to what people south of the Mason-Dixon line think, [​IMG] chickens are pretty ok with snow and cold as long as they have good shelter for the night. They're all wearing little down coats that keep them nice and warm except for windy or wet weather.

6. Jody

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    Well, I'm so glad I have room to add more, cause I really really want a buff orpington.. they're so cute [​IMG]

Guess I'll only go for adding just one more til spring when I can construct something bigger and better. When I find some more wood, I aim to make another nesting box as well as a frame for making a gate into the run.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I love my buff! If it were me though I'd add two. Ok, partly because lets face it, more is better! [​IMG]

Really though it's hard to be the new chicken in the coop, your original flock will not be nice right away and a new chickie would do better with a buddy. My 2 cents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by