Is this coop big enough ?

Georgie17

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Me and my mum found a coop we think is really nice ,it says it houses 4-8 chickens but do you think it is big enough

dimensions are 120cms x 90cms x 85cms but i dont really know how big it is i need to measure this where its going to go.

It is the first coop

http://www.newbarntimberproducts.co.uk/3ft_granary_4ft_granary_6ft_granary.htm

We are going to build a run round it ,and i am hoping my mum will do what i say and have the run high enough to walk in , more like an enclosure

Last edited:
I am not sure about cms but I will say this you need 3-4 square feet per chicken inside the coop and 10 square feet per chicken outside in the run. so in your math if it is that big then it will be plenty big enough

Good luck to you and
welcome-byc.gif
from the great state of TEXAS.

Looks to be pretty tight quarters to me.
especially if you are planning on standard full size birds as opposed to smaller bantams.

As is so often mentioned here, (and I am quickly coming to find while still building my own coop),
you should go a bit bigger in the beginning, than you think you will need.

It gets crowded inside a coop rather quickly,
and a overcrowded coop is both more difficult to maintain cleanliness,
as well as keeping your flock healthy.

I am currently in the process of building my coop. It is 4' deep x 8' wide x 6' tall.
I intend on having between 6 to 10 standard sized hens.

It is already looking to be a bit small, and the hens are not yet in it
I may be expanding it to 12' wide, (essentially a 50% add-on), before I even get it finished.

I'm certainly no expert here, and I am just starting out and learning myself.
but from what I have learned here so far, it seems that the more room the birds have, the better off they will be.

just my .02

I agree. sounds WAY too small. They'll fit in there, but unless they are out in a run, they will be standing in a heap of poo really fast. That's not enough room for them to walk around hardly, especially if you have nest boxes, feeders, waterers, etc.

Back
Top Bottom