is this coop ok

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ange, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    I have some questions and problems that hoping any one can help me on. We just built a coop last summer. Really nice one. Am hoping that it has enough sun day light so my chickens will lay. They have not laid since the new coop has been finished. Which was November. My rir were too young to lay then, but now they are not to young, they are 9 months old and never laid, and my one left is a wells summer and not laid, but I think did lay on and off during the summer . The coop where they sleep has 3 nesting boxes, with wood shavings in about 2 feet off the ground and wide. A roost where they all seem to stay looking out the window, which we put plastic over for warmth, but they still can see, it is a 45 x 45 inch window. Coopis attached to side of garage, and has 10 x 5 area. The play area is attached, with chicken wire all around but only about 5 feet high, for lioght. That is where the food and water is. That seems to have light. But it is roofed with chicken wire on sides with poles. and a gate for entering. The other side borders spruce trees to break the winds. We live in the valley, upstate new york cold cold winters. During the day, I let them out for free range roaming, afternoons, when I think the laying is done, so I can get eggs, which I have not. Does it sound like the coop and run have enough light? I am confusewd on what enough light would be. please help

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    14 hours of light for them to lay. Add light in the afternoon until you go to bed, then unplug it. It sounds like a nice enough coop to me [​IMG] Maybe just add some more light, and depending on where you are, the weather may factor in. Even a 9 month old often won't lay if it is very cold. Good luck! I hope this helps!!

3. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    I like tyo do things natural for light. What did they do in the old days, for light. Maybe ,mine has enough day time light. Any way to tell or ideas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by