Is this coop sufficient?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fishwithaface, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Consider down sizing flock

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Theres always room for a few more with the space I have

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. fishwithaface

fishwithaface Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2015
    Southern Utah
    So we just built our first coop. It is 5' tall, 8' long (6 nests, 3 on each side}, and 4' wide.
    [​IMG]

I was planning on building a pen around it like so

[​IMG]

I was thinking it would be near 10' long by 8' wide.

Does this this sound like enough room for 7 chickens? They will be able to free range durring the day for a few hours here and there. But mostly worried about winter when they are more isolated to there coop and pen. And we don't have extremely harsh winters, but have gotten snow maybe 2x a year.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    first off, it looks good!

secondly, you don't have enough room inside for that many. A general rule of thumb, not concrete mind you, but the general consensus is 4 sq ft inside per bird. Some of it depends on breed too obviously smaller breeds won't need as much room.

as for the run, you have plenty of space there for 7. Again, the general consensus but not concrete is 10 sq ft outside per bird.

the only other thing I'd mention, is you could close off one side of the nesting boxes and use for storage, or open it up completely for more floor space. again, general consensus is 1 next for 3 to 4 birds. They'll mostly likely all lay in the same nest anyway.

it does look good, y'all did a good job on it!

3. FranciscoR

FranciscoR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    Independence, Ky
    I say that coop is too small, and no good! For that reason only, I suggest you let me have it. I don't want you to feel bad about it one moment longer...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. fishwithaface

Mar 31, 2015
    Southern Utah
    So if I was to down size, how many would be considered safe to have as far as space in the coop? My chicks are still under two weeks old. And we had originally bought 7, thinking that a few were bound to pass (as so we heard from everyone) but my chicks look pretty healthy. And very much alive.
    we have 2 americanas, 2 rhode reds, 2 gold sexlinks, and 1 buff orphington

5. fishwithaface

Mar 31, 2015
    Southern Utah
    So if I was to down size, how many would be considered safe to have as far as space in the coop? My chicks are still under two weeks old. And we had originally bought 7, thinking that a few were bound to pass (as so we heard from everyone) but my chicks look pretty healthy. And very much alive.
    we have 2 americanas, 2 rhode reds, 2 gold sexlinks, and 1 buff orphington

6. fishwithaface

Mar 31, 2015
    Southern Utah
    lol. I will gladly you send the floor plans. We built it for under 200 at home depot. And had a few helpers along the way.

7. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    these breeds, I'd say 5 in that coop max. Of course, they're pretty much just going to sleep in there, but on those cold days or days you're late opening the pop door to let them out, they'll get cranky fast!

8. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    oh, and welcome aboard!

[​IMG]

9. FranciscoR

FranciscoR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    Independence, Ky
    That quality (looks and material) for $200 or less is really impressive. It's got a lot more character than a simple "box design." Go ahead and send em my way. I however am going to try to use my own lumber (tons of trees waiting to be processed). However, something like that, but painted red...may just do the trick!

10. fishwithaface

Mar 31, 2015
    Southern Utah
    Thank you so much. I'm excited to never have to buy eggs again, as now we are buying close to 18 eggs a week at the store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by