Is this coop to small?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by torismith, Apr 25, 2017.

1. torismith

torismith Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    I know most people say to build your own coop but my s/o was out of the country for 2 months and my chicks were outgrowing their brooder fast. I purchased this coop through my local tractor supply. It says it holds up to 8, but that would definitely be to small. I painted and sealed all the wood so hopefully I can get it to last for a year. I have 5, 6 week old chicks. They are in the coop until 4pm and then free range until dark. I am planning on building an external nesting box and taking out the one they have inside. Would this be okay for my 5 girls?(3 Tetra Browns and 2 BR) I do not plan to add more chickens until I build my own coop.
    [​IMG]

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...luxe-farm-house-chicken-coop-up-to-8-chickens

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Outside assembled dimensions are 84 in. x 42 in. x 57 in. So, 24.5 sq. ft. of run space before you lose some to feed/water containers and the house is half that size. IMO, yes, it's too small for 5 standard hens. But, it's what you have so you'll just have to make it work until you can get a bigger one built. Exterior nest boxes and perhaps you could add one of the prefab runs?

3. torismith

torismith Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    We planned on adding an 8 foot run on this weekend. Would that be enough?

4. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    There's really no telling what their tolerance will be for close quarters. People here often recommend 4 sq. ft. per hen inside the house (which you're well short of but some people get by with less) and 10 sq. ft. outdoors (again, you have half that currently). Climate matters, too. If you're in a place where they'd be indoors a lot, they're definitely going to get on each other's nerves. So, will more room outdoors be enough? Maybe. The only thing predictable about chickens is that they're not predictable.

5. Carlisle-Washam

Carlisle-Washam Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    SW Missouri
    I have a very similar coop we bought at orchlens. It is too small for our two austrolorps, but they free range and picked the cat carriers on our porch as their choice of sleeping and nesting.... I got the coop to allow our 11 chicks outside time while we finish the big coop and run. I plan on keeping the little one in case I need to separate someone from the flock, or to use for a brooder the next time I get chicks. Our big coop is 6x8 floor space,and it's over 6 foot at the peAK so we can add a lofted space if needed.the little coop will fit inside the big coop! The chicks are too young to get up into the coop part in the little coop.

6. Carlisle-Washam

Mar 22, 2017
    SW Missouri
    [​IMG] the big coop

7. Carlisle-Washam

Mar 22, 2017
    SW Missouri
    [​IMG]
    the little coop

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Carlisle-Washam

Mar 22, 2017
    SW Missouri
    8 foot might be fine for five hens. We have 11 chicks and we are doing a 6x9x6tall run. We are building it in panelsso it can easily be added on to. I plan on free ranging some day, like our two austrolorps do, but I'm needing to train the austrolorps to go into the coop and not on my porch at night. Plus we are relocating this summer and panels will make it easier to move.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  9. torismith

torismith Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    I live in south Florida so weather isn't much of an issue, they won't be cooped up for winter since we don't get snow. Maybe I can look into enclosing the the whole top portion and making a new ramp for them to get down and go into the 8 foot run. Then they can free range the yard in the afternoon when I'm home from work. Hopefully that will keep them content until I can afford to build a nice new coop for them.

10. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    In S. FL, I wouldn't bother building a traditional coop. A 3-sided bus shelter with roosts in it, a fenced enclosure with roof, and some litter buckets on their sides for nest boxes, done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by