Is this DE safe?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by southernblubird, Feb 10, 2014.

1. southernblubird

southernblubird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Hey everybody! I just wanted to make sure this DE was safe to mix with the sand in our future coop/ run. Thanks always! [​IMG]

2. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    The chickens will just eat them without it there good for protein. If I was you I wouldn't use nothing

3. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    They will have fun getting all the bugs

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    In general, DE is fine if it is not for pool filters. The DE for pool filters has been treated and is poisonous when consumed.

Chris

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Yes.... Provided that it is "Food Grade". Check the packaging. I do not see the food grade listed on this side of the package. Perhaps on the back?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  6. southernblubird

southernblubird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    For the life of me I thought it said it was food grade when I purchased it, but cannot find on package. I am going to return it and if we have any pest issues may purchase some of the food-grade DE. Thanks for everyone's help :)

7. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    You can buy several different sizes of food grade DE on Amazon, so if you end up deciding to use it, that's not a bad place to get it from. We used some for a flea problem in our house last summer.

8. You can purchase DE from your local TSC. I purchase the 50 pound bags that are food-grade for your birds. They are very reasonably priced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by