Is this deal on used chicken supplies worth it?

cmlew99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Massachusetts
Hello!

I'm getting my first chicks in a few weeks (I'm only getting four or five), and I was just approached by someone offering chicken feeders and waters for both chicks and chickens, a heat lamp, and books on chicken raising for $50. Is it worth it? Since its my first time for all this, I'm not sure if this is a great deal or if it would be the same price buying all new supplies. Thanks a bunch!

BECCS2014

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
That's just about what we paid for ALL of our supplies to start our 13 chicks it was like 68 bucks with the chicks included at TSC. We bought a 2 quart waterer a 2 quart feeder, a bag if chick starter feed a bale of pine shavings a brooder lamp, a 2 pack of brooder light bulbs and a bunch of probiotic and electrolyte packets. Books are expensive by themselves. Magazines are like five bucks a piece. Make sure to sterilize and clean everything real good though and use the right size feeders and waterers for the chicks whereas the larger chicken waterers are big enough that baby chicks can drown. I'm 3 weeks into raising chickens so im totally new at this too. I'd say it's a fair price if the items are in good usable condition. Good luck with your chicken raising adventure!

cmlew99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Massachusetts
Thanks! What do you think I should sterilize them with? Is some sort of bleach mixture okay? Good luck to you too- I can't wait for them to arrive.

BECCS2014

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com

In the search bar type in naturally cleaning coop. I'm totally a newbie at chickens. Some say bleach and water. But in a well ventilated area because of the ammonia in chicken feces. We are gearing towards the organic farming route. So I think I'm going to use the vinegar instead of bleach.

ChickenLegs13

Songster
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
Lower Alabama
Who needs stinkin books when there is the BackYard Chicken board?
The price depends on how many and what kind. You can get brand new plastic feeder & watterers for your 5 chickens for $20.
The red made in China ones are total junk, avoid them like the plague. The chick feeders that take the jar have a 2 piece base that doesn't stay together and when you invert them after filling the bottom falls off and your whole quart of feed goes straight to the ground. Also you have to buy the plastic jar extra, and glass mason jars won't screw on properly.
The plastic flip top ones are ok but you can't feed adult chickens with them.
The metal screw on feeder bases are much better!
l consider all the plastic crap as disposable items. Use them for a while then toss them.
The metal items last for ever. I'm still using some 40 year old waterer and feeders.

Latest posts

Top Bottom