Is this Delaware really a hen?

Beastie

Songster
7 Years
Mar 11, 2014
[/IMG]
I got my babies from a woman locally who had ordered too many from Murray Mcmurray, they were supposedly all sexed as female. I'm paranoid and want to make sure that's the case. My Delaware has a pretty large comb and very light spotting between her (hopefully) shoulders. I'm hoping someone can ease my troubled mind lol.

Hello,
smile.png

he/she does seem to have a large comb. How old is she/he? It might be good to wait and post a picture in a few weeks when he/she has had more time to develop.

Hard to say for sure yet. My males usually had bright pink combs by that time already, but different lines can vary in that.

Adding photo of a 6 week old Dellie male out of my flock that would seem to indicate yours could be a pullet, but can't say 100% on it, either way. If I had to call it and go out on a limb, I'd call late developing male. The comb plus the smut between the shoulders added together is why.

Mine is not hatchery stock and different lines develop differently.

On the other hand, this is a 5 week old pullet from my birds. You can see the comb is much smaller than the one on your chick.

Post new pictures in a couple of weeks and then we should all be able to tell for certain.

Last edited:
Thank you, I will do that for sure. Have you ever seen a pullet that age with a largish comb?

I wouldn't give up hope on her being a pullet. I've seen some pullets with large combs before, I swore one of my hens was a rooster as she was growing up, then she laid her first egg
big_smile.png

I'm holding on to hope lol, I have someone giving me a spangled Russian Orloff roo, which was kinda my inspiration for getting the chicks when I did so if she turns out a he I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I've become attached to the Dely since I hand feed her every morning but I knew the instant I saw the picture of the Orloff roo that I wanted him watching over my hens. :/

Back
Top Bottom