Brucepierce

Songster
11 Years
Aug 15, 2012
Just outside Boston
My Coop
My Coop
Hey Folks,
I'm up in New England and it's been in the teens at night and even during the day some days...I've opened my pop door but the birds have refused to leave the coop...ok no problem until one of the RI reds looks to have been pecked? She looks like she's missing a good bit of neck feathers....it's in the 30's today and supposedly the 50's the next few days so I think they will be outside...is this boredom...my coop is 8x8x8 and I have only 5 girls...is she the "runt"
Thanks in advance.....sorry the photos aren't better...she won't stop moving....

She is molting. The new or pin feathers are coming in and what you are noticing is the gray sheathing of the new feathers. This will eventually flake off. Right now it does not look as if there is a problem.

Thanks for the quick response, between the frost bitten combs and this I thought I was killing my birds.
I'm relieved, I didn't realize they molted this young...she's about 10 months.
Thanks again

Thanks for the quick response, between the frost bitten combs and this I thought I was killing my birds.
I'm relieved, I didn't realize they molted this young...she's about 10 months.
Thanks again

They don't usually do a big, heavy molt until the fall/winter after they are a year old, but yearlings can do a partial molt like what you see with your hen. The pinfeathers are quite long and she will be back to normal shortly. :)

Yes she has a few black spots on her comb maybe you have a bit of a draft
going on in the coop I am sure a little covered box with some straw will help
her stay a little out of the wind at night ....
She looks very healthy good job on that and the feather molting & new growth
is a sign of a healthy lady .........

gander007
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom