Is this dry fowl pox?

Cherbe

Chirping
May 17, 2021
Ireland
Hi all, I'm fairly new to having chickens and would love your opinion.

The darkness on her comb has been growing slowly over the past 6 weeks. Honestly I thought it was dirt at first but no, definitely the comb discoloured.

She's in excellent form, great appetite, loads of energy. None of the darkness seems raised, sore or infected.

The other two don't seem to have it but it was very gradual with Tuscan so maybe it's coming.

I'm not certain what is going on, but I don't think it is fowl pox. Perhaps something related to her genetics as she is in apparent good health.
Just going back on pictures and it does seem like her face is getting darker in general, especially her nostrils.

June 5 Vs today

I just find it odd that the darkness is formed in little circles. She has them on her wattle too.

Has she run into any fencing, such as while being chased, or trying to get to something on the other side. Some chickens will get black or gray combs from bumping into wire fencing.

Has she run into any fencing, such as while being chased, or trying to get to something on the other side. Some chickens will get black or gray combs from bumping into wire fencing.
Oh interesting, they're free ranged from late morning to sunset and when I head out they're always very excited and run closely along the hardware mesh. I wonder if that might be it.

Back
Top Bottom