1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this dust bathing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rooster brandon., Sep 17, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Alright two of my three hens were laying on the ground 1 was using its legs and flicking dirt every were even between her wings.............And the other one was laying there with dirt all over there like something attacked her...........is this dust bathing .........................and then they got up and walked off.............like nothing happend.......

2. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Sounds like a classic dust bath. Consider it spa day for your ladies.

3. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Yup it is. Mine sometimes get a glazed look in their eye while doing it - they look like they are in la-la land.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  4. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    that's dust bathing...wait until they decide to shake it all out!!!! i've had small pebbles fly out and hit me while they were shaking the dirt out!!!

5. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    my girls did the same this morning. last night it rained for a bit and this morning in the outdoor run they had a blast!!
    dug dirt pits, went into a wonderful frenzy and kept flicking dirt all over the place. for the first time that I've ever heard
    it was like they were purring like a cat!! such fun to watch.

6. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Thank you..........an god bless.........................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by