Is this Easter Egger Chick a Frizzle?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cerise1924, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Cerise1924

Cerise1924 Chillin' With My Peeps

These babies are just five days old, but I have heard some BYCers say that can spot a frizzle this early.

I hatched them from shipped eggs that came from an Easter Egger pen that has a couple of frizzle roos in it. I have notice that the wing feathers on these chicks look different.
    -Stormfly, the chipmunk chick, has wing feathers that lay flat against the body.
    -Heather, the dark chick, has wing feathers that curve outward.

Is this an indication that Heather is a frizzle?

Thanks for any input you can give.

-Cerise[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Very likely that its going to be frizzled. Another week you'll be able to tell with no doubt.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cerise1924

Thanks so much for your reply! I've never had an Easter Egger or a frizzle, so I'm very excited about all this. [​IMG] I'll keep watching those feathers.

4. Cerise1924

Now, two of them are looking frizzled to me! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    Yes it looks like they could both be frizzled. So cute!

6. Cerise1924

Thank you!! [​IMG]I love these little fuzzies. Hope one is a pullet.

7. oregonkat

oregonkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I just hatched (9 days ago) two frizzled easter eggers and they both feathered up really quickly and had irregular wing feather lengths perhaps indicating pullets for both? Any thoughts on whether this could be true?

8. Cerise1924

Congratulations! I am new to both frizzles and Easter Eggers, but from what I understand, Easter Eggers cannot be reliably sexed by the wing-feather method. It's a specific genetic link that shows up in certain breeds, in lines that have that specific fast-vs-slow feathering gene. Using that method, I thought I had identified two Brahma pullets, and those turned out to be the boys! [​IMG]

My EEs are 3 weeks old, and they are keeping me guessing! [​IMG] I've heard that some EEs have no wattles at all, and right now, there are no combs yet, either! The only things I have to go on are the size of the legs, and behaviour... but now I learn that pullets can fight and chest-bump, too. Keep me posted on your frizzles. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  9. oregonkat

oregonkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Here are my two frizzles! Both enjoying fresh grass and dirt for breakfast, delicious I tell you!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What color legs do your frizzles have? I'm wondering if they are cochins instead of EE's. Any recognizable comb type forming???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by