Is this EE a boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lagniappe Alpacas, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Lagniappe Alpacas

Lagniappe Alpacas Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    Just over 6 weeks old.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Is that three rows of peas on the comb? If so, I'm saying boy. It could be the picture, but I'm also seeing some red spots on the hackle, saddle and wings, also makes me think boy....

3. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    I'm so new at this, I'm not sure if it's 1 or 3 rows. I'll have to look for the red in it's feathers. I've always suspected this as a roo since we got it. It was a big chick. My hubby thinks it looks like a hawk :)

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Those red patches on the wings mean boy...I had a bantam EE colored just like that one and he turned out to be a boy...although the partridge coloring looks like girl, the dark red patches are a give away.

That pink in the comb and three rows of little peas also confirm roo to be.

Sorry.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    not to convinced that;s a cockerel yet. can you get a pic of it standing from the side

6. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    I'll see if I can get some more pics. Not sure how still they will be with only me out there :)

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Pullet. The red on the wings is not "cockerel red" and she has pullet patterning. She looks a lot like my Hazel did at that age (and Hazel is all girl!): [​IMG]

8. ya i think its a pullet 2, not convince by the whole its cockeral [​IMG]

9. saltyoceanchick

saltyoceanchick New Egg

Jan 13, 2012
    Wow, debid, your Hazel looks exactly like an EE chick that I have! Mine is 8-9 weeks old and I have also wondered if it's a pullet or roo. I got three of them from a guy who said they were pullets. She is also the biggest of the three and the dominant one in the group. Still hoping she's a she. Seeing your picture of "Hazel" keeps me hopeful!

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It's all about the patterning. Way back when, Illia assured me that she's a duckwing-based pullet pattern (even though she barely resembles a duckwing with everything else she has going on). Hazel lays a large, sage-green egg with very good frequency. Here is a photo from last fall so you can see how she turned out:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by