is this EE a pullet or a cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mudpaw, Oct 21, 2009.

1. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    *first time chicken owner- please bear with me* [​IMG] I know this may be a bit early, but I'd rather know of this little one is a rooster before i get too attached (I'm in the city and he'll have to go if it is indeed a "he"). It's stance and personality have me wondering the last week or so. It stands very upright and stretches it's neck when looking at me. Also a bit aggressive with the other chicks as well as what I'd swear look like it's trying to scare me away (it'll run and flap it's wings and jump/hop a time or two) though some days it's comes over am almost lets me touch it :p . I also noticed some new tail feathers that look long and slender when compared to the rest. These photos aren't the best, I can try and get better ones later today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    The standing up inquisitiveness is not accurate at all. I've had pullets who as chicks were very boistrous, very nosey / inquisitive. How old is chickie??

The different variation in the tail feathers can still easily be a pullet

3. mudpaw

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    it was the oldest of the chicks I got...and is by far the largest. My best guess is it's about 4-5 weeks old (the rest were tiny-a few days old-and are 3 weeks now, this one already had wing feathers and was almost double the size of the rest when I got it). Also was told mother may have been a RIR. It's only got a little fluff on it's head and a strip on it's back and underside now, the rest is rusty red feathers.

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm going to take a guess and a say it's a pullet. My EE roos (I've had 4 of them now) all had much larger combs by 4-5 weeks and were very dark pink. It was quite obvious they were boys. And I agree, the posture/aggressiveness is not a good test. Some of my pullets were more aggressive from day one than my roos!

Good luck!

5. mudpaw

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    Quote:I SO hope you are right [​IMG] ...I'm so smitten with this little one [​IMG]

6. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes, if your age guess is accurate, then I would lean toward pullet as well.

7. mudpaw

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    Quote:YAY ...I hope everyone so far is right!!! I know it has to be at least 4 weeks old...I've had them for a little over 3 weeks and it had a decent head start on the others.

8. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    I agree on that score. Having just hatched out two same age which are pullet and roo currently 8 weeks old, it was the roo's comb that developed significantly once he had reached 5-6 weeks and was really starting to redden. Size isn't a good indication either as I have found that pullets grow bigger initially then about 8 weeks plus the roos start to take over. Bit like humans I guess (obviously not in terms of weeks of age!)

9. mudpaw

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    well, it looks like I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope she truly is a pullet [​IMG] [​IMG] and maybe she'll lay pretty eggs for me in the future [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by