Is this egg being stepped on or it's something else

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by myfarm30, Nov 30, 2016.

1. myfarm30

myfarm30 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Last two days I've come home to find an egg like this. Does it look like a chicken is stepping on it and breaking it or is something else happening. I only have three hens one has been laying for over a month the other for two weeks and the last one just four days. All three eggs today were in the one nesting box. The other day the broken one was outside the box. I didn't have any issues before last one started laying. When I touch the eggshell it is hard like a normal eggshell.

[​IMG]
    I

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Wow, that wasn't just stepped on, it was STOMPED! Someone also may have gotten a taste and tried to eat the rest, and didn't have time to finish... But from the looks of it, it just plain got squashed. :p

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Does that egg have something 'solid' inside....or the typical liquid yolk and white??

4. myfarm30

myfarm30 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2015
    I believe it is typical yolk and egg white. There was defiantly nothing hard inside.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh ok...it kinda looked solid in the pic.
    Was the shell thin?
    Could be a new layer, sometimes they lay soft or thin shelled eggs that are easily broken, and broken eggs are fair game for eating.

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    It might have got stomped in a scuffle for the nesting box; sounds like they're all trying to use the same one. Sometimes pileups can occur in there ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by