1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quinaldey, Feb 23, 2014.

1. quinaldey

quinaldey Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Found my little lady with a swollen behind today. Have had to clean her behind previously and she seems to get matted feathers, but now there is this swelling. Did thorough exam, everything feels soft inside and out, like swollen soft tissue, cant feel an egg. Soaked her in a betadine bath, started tetracycline, have her separated. Any ideas?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Was her bottom messy with poop? Poop will burn them.

She could have tumors, internal lay, egg yolk peritonitis, etc. if you don't feel an egg, then is probaly is not egg bound. Do a search on ascites as well.

3. quinaldey

May 24, 2013
    No poop stuck to her, this morning I "helped" her pass a normal egg, although maybe she would've done that on her own. Swelling down a little and still eating drinking and pooping. Everything felt "normal" in there as far as I can tell...although I normally deal with dogs and cats, everything seemed in place. Hoping it isn't some sort of hernia, but either way we will keep her separated for a couple of weeks bc of antibiotics anyways, and hopefully she is on the mend!! just seems like an odd place for swelling! Thanks!

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Poop is normal looking? Ascites is like a water ballon, she looks swollen like that in the picture.

5. quinaldey

May 24, 2013
    poop is normal, she is swollen but its reducable, soft, not like ascites/edema.

6. quinaldey

May 24, 2013
    plus she is nice and pink and alert. Its not really her abdomen, sort of behind where their abdomen is. still concerned about hernia, but will just have to watch and see what happens. As long as she is eating and bright, im happy

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Sometimes they get a fat buildup there and that can make it hard to pass eggs.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by