Is this egg fertile? Shouldn't I be seeing something?UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LegginMF12, Jan 24, 2012.

1. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    So back to my incubation nightmare. I set eggs at 11:0 p.m. on Friday the 20th. On Saturday the power went out for 7 hrs. By my calculations these guys have been incubating for 72 + hrs under actual heat. The eggs are very light colored and I can see the yolks moving around inside as I candle. I am seeing absolutely nothing. I broke open one egg and noted that the air cell is not detached but torn. This is what the egg looked like. I am going to candle again tomorrow night (that will put them at 104 hrs in the incubator under actual heat).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Are you sure your eggs are fertile? I see nothing.

Deb

3. LegginMF12

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    My thought exactly! I candled all 28 this morning and I see vein development in 2, yes 2! I am wondering if they are even fertile. I am going to wait until Thursday night and candle again. I should be seeing definite vein development in them by then right?

4. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Yes, at one week the veining should be apparent, unless it's a very dark shelled egg.

Good luck (or at least better luck)!

Deb

5. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    i didn't see anything noticeable in my eggs till the end of day 8 or 9. I only have 7/16 fertile eggs and 1 roster and 8 hens seems like only 3 hens might actually be fertile, i collected my eggs for 6 days. how many rosters to hens do you have? are they getting out into the grass or are they in a coop?

6. LegginMF12

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    These are shipped eggs. When I set my own eggs (1 roo, 3 hens) I was able to see definite vein development by day 3 on brown eggs. The shipped eggs are a very light tan and very porous, and during candling I can see the yolks on them. I have noticeable vein development in 2 out of 28. The egg pictured above has been in the incubator since Friday at 11:00 p.m. and Saturday the power went out for about 6 hrs. So I will wait until Thursday evening and candle again to look for vein development. If I don't see any I will crack a couple and see if there is at least a bulls eye on them and post pictures.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the pics you have posted show non fertile eggs :( i have 3 tester eggs in my incubator from 1-2 pullets that just started to lay will be candling next week to see if there is anything

8. LegginMF12

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    I pulled 22 of the 28 eggs out of the incubator today. The results are in. 4 were completely scrambled, 6 were fertile but never progressed pass the large bulls eye stage, 11 were infertile and sassafrassas, 1 had a heart beat! Oddly the one that had a heart beat had good veining was a VERY small egg and the shell was so light brown it was almost white and it candled completely clear from all angles. I have development in 2 of the eggs in the incubator and left the other 4 because the shells are pretty dark and I can't get a good look.

9. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    That sucks[​IMG]. Hopefully you get some that hatch!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by