1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is This Egg Fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buffrington, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Buffrington

Buffrington Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

I have a hard time `reading` this egg, I am a newbie though :)

Please can a trained eye look at this egg and let me know if this is fertile or not?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
  3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    you didn't say how old it was or if it had been incubated.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    From the pictures, I don't think that it is fertile. A fertile egg would have a white dot surrounded by a white ring, kind of like a doughnut.

5. Buffrington

Buffrington Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    A long story very short, I own a few Buff Orpingtons and are at this stage very upset due to the fact, that my hens lay eggs, and before you know it, someone or something broke or crack it. Sometimes looking at the egg, it looks like a "Chicken Pecked at the egg. [​IMG]

Now the images above is a newly laid egg, about 1 hour old, I am now planning on taking out every single egg and incubate them myself as I have lost 5 eggs in one week, to nature. [​IMG]

I am also planning on breeding some buffs, and sol excited for the first egg to hatch and I just do not get closer to doing so as I cannot win at this rate [​IMG]

Thanks

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    put them in an incubator a couple of days and see.

I just borrowed a blue splash maran to mate with my blue splash hen, (no relation) and who ever else he can catch. there were late day layers so I popped those in the incubator to see if we get any same day fertilizing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by