1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this egg fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shirleynaught, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shirleynaught

shirleynaught Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

I have read the posts regarding egg fertility. To me, this looks more like a "bullseye" than the blastodisk. I have put a couple batches of these eggs in the incubator and by day 7 I see no growth. To rule out that it's not an incubator (or incubator operator) issue, I have also put eggs from different roosters in the incubator and a large majority of them show growth by day 7. Any input or advice would be appreciated!

2. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    from what I can see... and comparing it to the eggs I checked from mine, Id say its not fertile. Mine had much more of an obvious bullseye. But maybe it just doesnt show real well in the pic

3. shirleynaught

Feb 21, 2013
    I have never done this before, so I am just guessing at all this! Thank you.

4. mattsinger

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    How many hens per roo do you have?

5. shirleynaught

Feb 21, 2013
    Three hens are with this roo. The other two breeding pens have two hens per roo.

6. mattsinger

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    how old is the roo?

7. shirleynaught

Feb 21, 2013
    I think he is 2 or 3. We just got him so i am not 100%. I took him out of the pen ti see if that doesn't get him going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by