Is This Egg Fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HappyQuackers, Aug 5, 2014.

1. HappyQuackers

HappyQuackers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    Jeannette, PA
    [​IMG]
    I was making cookies with an egg from one of our Rhodie Reds and happened to notice a little blood spot on the egg. Now, I know that it's common and perfectly fine to eat an egg with one, but I still had to do a little inspection. I didn't find anymore spots, but I did notice that the white dot-thing (please excuse my ignorance of the proper term) had a faint little ring around it. We do have two roosters, as I mentioned in my introduction, but as far as I knew, the bantam Buff Brahma, Ginseng, was chased off by the head hen, Amber, any time he went near the Reds. The other roo, an Australorp, Pepper, never really tried to get at anyone other than the EE bantams, but when he tried to woo the Reds, he was met with the same reaction as Gin.

It looks fertile to me, but I'm a bit baffled by how on Earth they'd been able to do it without having their faces pecked in.

Does it look fertile to anyone with a little more experience than I have? Any thoughts?

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    My eyesight is getting worse in my older years but that there clearly looks to be a fertile egg to me [​IMG]

3. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    BTW... I have hens that absolutely refused to do the squat for our rooster, but he does catch them from time to time off guard... All's it takes is once and bam, they are fertile for a couple weeks :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. Some roosters live for early morning stealth attacks right off the roost [​IMG]

5. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon

yep, our beta male does his best work in the evening, when alpha takes his favorite girls in to roost its the barred rocks job to make sure the stragglers are covered before herding them in, he roost on the fence lol .. flock dynamics are so interesting !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by