1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this egg fertile

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lyford, Dec 12, 2014.

1. lyford

lyford Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    WNY
    A little back ground. I have 13 chickens which are between 31 and 33 wks old. 12 of them have laid eggs, although 1 EE has decided to take the winter off after laying about a dozen green eggs in the late fall. I have 1 other EE who I'm fairly certain has not laid any eggs (never saw it in any nest box). I started noticing some white circles on my yolks and after doing a little research was thinking maybe they are fertilized eggs. My thoughts (and i don claim to know anything) are maybe the non-laying EE is a roo and he is doing what roos do to my hens. Problem is I have never heard a crow or even an attempt. There are times when the suspected roo hangs out by itself in the coop while the ohters are in the run. There was also a period when the known hens were picking the suspected roos tail feathers, this has since stopped. I have never seen this "roo" mount another bird, and it actually seems like he is low in the pecking order, though not at the bottom. My only suspicions are because of the no egg laying (at least not that I have seen) and the spots on the yolks. So after my ramble here my question is, Do these eggs look fertile to any of the better trained eyes out there?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

3. lyford

lyford Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    WNY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here are the egg pics, sorry i thought i attached them to my original post, i will get picks of the EE tonight after work

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I think someone has a roo.....lol [​IMG] Maybe he's just a late crower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by