Is this egg fertilized?! (I thought my roo infertile)

CoopBoots

Crowing
Aug 31, 2022
First pullet egg from my flock and I think I see a bullseye. Am I crazy?!

Snapchat-1570649720.jpg

The disc is so tiny I thought maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot, but I couldn't find another. My rooster is ancient and I've never seen him do more than a clumsy dance. He's so bad at gauging distance he never even perches. And he is incapable of chasing down a hen. Is he possibly still managing to mate?!

First pullet egg from my flock and I think I see a bullseye. Am I crazy?!

View attachment 3284934

The disc is so tiny I thought maybe I'm looking at the wrong spot, but I couldn't find another. My rooster is ancient and I've never seen him do more than a clumsy dance. He's so bad at gauging distance he never even perches. And he is incapable of chasing down a hen. Is he possibly still managing to mate?!
I'm no expert but it sure looks fertilised to me. Maybe a fluke? Id check a few more eggs

I'm no expert but it sure looks fertilised to me. Maybe a fluke? Id check a few more eggs
I definitely will. If he's actually managing any type of fertility at all, it's 100% more than I expected. Still likely he might not manage to take care of all the eggs considering he has 9 hens all to himself in his twilight years...

I definitely will. If he's actually managing any type of fertility at all, it's 100% more than I expected. Still likely he might not manage to take care of all the eggs considering he has 9 hens all to himself in his twilight years...
That is a fair few hens. If you want chicks from him, Id pay close attention to his behaviours-- He may have a favourite hen or two. If he does, he may have more success mating them and they may have more fertilised eggs. Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom