Is this egg safe to eat? ******UPDATED!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thomas333, Mar 18, 2013.

1. thomas333

thomas333 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2012
    Does anyone know why this happens?[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    I can't tell if it is cracked. If it is cracked is it thru the membrane, of just slightly cracked? I thought your hen was just getting ready for Easter with a new design.

3. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be a few reasons for the crack. Not enough padding in the bottom of the nesting box and when she drops the egg it may be hitting solid bottom. If more than one hen uses the nesting box there is that possibility that the hen dropped her egg on top of another one causing the damage. When several hens share a box as well, some hens are kinda vigorous and kick around in the nesting box looking for scraps of food they can inadvertently kick the egg off to the side and it hits the nesting box side.
    I don't think you have an issue there just coincidence maybe. Keep an eye out and if you can, collect the eggs more often and see if there is a change. Good luck, Steve

4. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like grooves in the shell....if it is grooves they are nothing to worry about. It can happen from time to time when something goes wrong with shell developement. It is fine to eat.

5. thomas333

Jul 14, 2012
    Its not cracked, just grooves. It seems to be a little more thin in that area. Thanks!

6. I would eat it if I where u.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  8. thomas333

Jul 14, 2012
    Here is the same egg, cracked open. I hope someone knows what is up with this. It kinda turned my stomach.

[​IMG]

9. thomas333

Jul 14, 2012
    The white stuff around the edge is just milk.

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by