Is This Egg Yolk Peritonitis? (yellow runny droppings)

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
1 Year old hen, has been having runny diarrhea for almost 3 months (https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-explosive-watery-poops-bruised-comb.1290448/). Fecals tested negative for worms last month, crop was empty every morning, and she was active and laying eggs so I didn't do anything.

Yesterday she was still eating and went up to roost, but since this morning she has been in the nest box acting lethargic all day. She refuses food/treats but will drink water. Abdomen feels flat, crop is empty. I took her outside and she left this dropping. It looks like it has yellow stuff in it. She is now back in the nest

Should I give her antibiotics??

Attachments

• IMG_4592.JPG
    IMG_4592.JPG
    763.7 KB · Views: 80
How long ago did she lay an egg? The yellow in the dropping might be yellow urates from a liver issue or it could be egg material from internal laying. I have a large 6 year old Marans hen with a huge lower abdomen, who passes egg yolk material in her droppings every day. They get stuck on the way down, so easy to spot. She gets around okay, but I have noticed that she is not as active as before.

So I would give her some Poultry NutriDrench or other electrolyte/vitamin for chickens. Offer some cooked egg, wet chicken feed, or whatever she likes in a small cereal bowl. She might have a soft shell-less egg on it’s way out or she may just feel bad and is taking refuge in the nest box. You may insert a finger one inch into her vent to check for an egg or blockage. Most antibiotics are not approved for chickens, but many do choose to treat with amoxicillin or Baytril if they suspect an infection in the egg tract (oviduct.) Baytril (enrofloxacin) is banned for chickens in the US, but some vets may prescribe it for a pet chicken if the owner is aware to not eat eggs or the meat.

She last laid an egg maybe a week ago, but I am not sure of the exact day. She usually only lays every other day at most. No blockage that I could feel, but I didn't probe that far (she would not be pooping if there was a blockage, right?)

I put rooster booster in her water, but she does not want to eat. I have fish mox and injectable penicillin. Should I give her antibiotics just in case, or wait and see?

I tried tube feeding for the first time today because she has not eaten in 2 days... 20ml of Similac (because I could not find baby bird formula at the feed store). (thanks to @casportpony for all the wonderful instructions! Getting the tube in was way easier than I thought it would be!)

She has been lying down on her chest all day with her tail up. Not sure why she is like this.
IMG_4601.JPG

Back
Top Bottom