Is this eggbound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FlockMama, Nov 24, 2011.

1. FlockMama

FlockMama ChickyBawkyChickChick

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Just noticed this today. I put them to bed every night and I am with them often, and can't believe I haven't noticed this sooner. Is it time to get her into a warm bath or is this something else? She is eating and drinking normally. She just started molting and 3 of my others are just getting done molting and I have two in the middle of a molt.

Please let me know what I need to do. It feels hard to the touch.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance....

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    That honestly looks like ascites. I'm dealing with that with one of my hens now..let me link you to a few threads..But in the mean time...use the search feature and type in ASCITES and see if she fits the symptoms-but it sure looks it to me..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=120841

3. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    If you have any gloves put them on and hold her with one ant stick a finger in butt and feel around if you feel something round its a egg . And it is loose then VERY VERY carefully try to take it ok .

4. FlockMama

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    I will do some more reading thanks for the fast replies. Right in the middle of cooking dinner so will wait on the glove idea.
    Thanks again and any more info will help.

5. FlockMama

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Any more ideas?

6. FlockMama

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Just went to take another look at my Shirley and the lump still looks the same. Sorta squishy.

Any suggestions on what to do? All her other activities are normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by