1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this embryo dead :( PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lucysducks11, Dec 18, 2016.

1. lucysducks11

lucysducks11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2016
    I'm on day 16 of incubation, candled the eggs (mallards) all look great except this one:(
    No movement or growth..has the hatchling died? How can I tell? Please someone help [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Since there is no movement, and with the shape of embryo, I would suspect that the embryo is dead. However, I would wait a few more days before removing the egg, just to be sure you aren't accidentally killing a live embryo.

3. lucysducks11

Apr 9, 2016

I'm pretty sure this was my egg that had a double embryo , all the other eggs are great minus this one. I didn't want to candle it to long, I don't see a blood ring and the veins still look good so idk.. I'm sure it's died but I'm going to wait a few days before I decide what to do

4. lucysducks11

Apr 9, 2016
    I just candled again and actually both embryos had movement, not much but they are not dead. Two very obvious separate ducklings, I hope that they beat the odds against them.

5. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Aww! Rooting for you!
    I would say just compare the eggs and use your better judgement through the process! Use a dark bathroom and make it warm and humid so you don't have to worry about the eggs being out too long.

6. lucysducks11

Apr 9, 2016

We will see how this goes.. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by