Is this enough (or too much) ventilation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stain2319, Mar 12, 2017.

1. stain2319

stain2319 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    Colorado
    This is the coop I built. It's 4x4' and intended to house 4 he's (there is a 60 sq ft run attached also.)

The triangular vent you can kinda see on this pic is on both sides and on the front side you can see that flap which is another vent you can open. I was thinking of leaving that one open in summer and closed in winter but maybe I should leave it open always?

[​IMG]

2. stain2319

Mar 3, 2017
    Colorado
    4 hens. Not he's. :)

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The biggest issue I see is that there is no natural lighting. Can you cut in a window or two? I think I'd hinge that front vent from the top, so you can open it and have it shed snow and rain. Do you have those vents covered with 1/2" hardware cloth?

4. stain2319

Mar 3, 2017
    Colorado

The vents are covered with hardware cloth yes.

Thanks for the advice on the flap hinge.

Here's another angle.... There is a window

[​IMG]

5. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Looking good! Now is there a way you can do a little venting towards the bottom of the coop to increase draw? (up to you)...maybe prop the pop door open...I think the more moveable/adjustable parts the better...I leave my pop door open all the time except for below zero weather overnight, for example...and a lot depends on your climate/area...

6. stain2319

Mar 3, 2017
    Colorado

My run is very secure so I do plan to leave the pop door open most of the time. I didn't want to make a permanent lower vent because I was worried it would get drafty in winter (I'm in Colorado)

7. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Right! the pop door is moveable and can even be partially propped open!

Suggest if you want to test the tweaks on your venting that you can get an inexpensive remote hygrometer/thermometer, and make your adjustments accordingly. That little item was VERY helpful to me this last winter in Montana! You will get a good read on how well you are doing, be sure to compare to outdoor readings when you are at it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by