is this enough room for my birds

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
right now i have 4 heavy breeds 1 bantam and i wanted to add 2 more heavy breeds to my coop. They have a 4 ft, 4 ft 6 ft high coop with a 10ft by 10 ft by 6 ft high run. Do u think thats enough room for 7 hens
my run is very secure but the winters are very cold here
i can ad in as many roosts as needed and my chickens go out for free range almost every day when im outside

Last edited:
If they're very docile, and they free range all day, i think it would be fine, but i think they could easily be too crowded. It also depends some on how the inside is situated. If it has lots of roost room, that also makes a difference.

I personally think that would be a little crowded. It could depend on the demeanor of your chickens.

dpends on location too and how secure your run is...

if your run is super secure and you live somewhere with year round mild weather enough that you can let them out of their coop/leave the house open allmost all the time then its not too bad...
but the suggestion is 4sqft per heavy breed hen, and 2sqft for bantams, so your house at 4x4 would only be big enough for 4 heavy breeds.

Wow...that sounds really crowded to me. I would not put them in that situation unless for SURE, they would ONLY be sleeping there from dark to early light. Which would mean that you're in an area that is warm year-round so that they would ALWAYS be out during the daylight hours. You're pushing it now, with 4 standards and a bantam.

Back
Top Bottom