1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this enough room?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ladyj02, Mar 17, 2016.

1. ladyj02

ladyj02 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Topeka, Kansas
    I'm wondering if I really have enough room for my 6 RIR chicks. I bought this coop http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/precision-pet-farm-house-coop?cm_vc=-10005

and I have it all set up inside of a 6' tall 10'x10' dog run that will have a chicken wire "roof" on top for added security. My plan is to really just use the coop part for egg laying and for them to sleep. I plan on leaving the door open to the actual coop so they can get out into the dog run area as they please, and then I can also allow them to free-range the entire yard ( a fairly large yard) a few times a week when I don't work and can supervise.

I guess I'm really just wondering if they have enough room inside the coop for sleeping and egg laying? It just doesn't look that big but it says that it can hold 6 chickens.

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    The link says sorry for the inconvenience but we no longer advertise for tractor supply

3. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I can pretty much guarantee it's not going to be big enough. The link didn't work for me either. I have a precision coupe that I bought and used it for three chickens. It worked OK but now I am building a big coop because I want to have more chickens. Knowing what I know now I would not have bought it.

4. ladyj02

Mar 11, 2016
    Topeka, Kansas

Hmm. Well here are the dimensions but I'm assuming it's the dimensions for the entire thing and not just the sleeping/laying portion.
    Size: 73 in. x 38.25 in. x 46 in.

And here's a little video of it I found on YouTube.

5. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ok well are u planing on free ranging then because if not I wouldn't think it would be big enough but he house part size looks good and I mean u could always get a extention and build on to that run but that run is to small for six birds

6. ladyj02

Mar 11, 2016
    Topeka, Kansas

Yes, not only will they have that entire 10'x10' space that the coop is placed inside of but they will also have my entire backyard to free range in whenever I'm home and can supervise them. It's just the house part that I'm worried is too small. It has 2 roosting bars and 3 nesting boxes on the inside of it.

7. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ya I seen the YouTube video how much are u willing to spend I can help u find abut of a bigger one

8. ladyj02

Mar 11, 2016
    Topeka, Kansas
    It's already bought and set up, and my husband already threw the box away. There's no turning back now. :(

9. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    O well the coop should be big enough but is there any room in ur backyard for a dog kennel and open up that little door on the end of the little run and let them out into the dog kennel I have 8 birds in a 4x8 coop and a 36 by 11 feet run

10. ladyj02

Mar 11, 2016
    Topeka, Kansas
    That's exactly what I'll be doing in the 10x10 space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by