Is this enough room?

Stedman

Chirping
Jul 9, 2016
Massachusetts
I plan on getting five chickens and I am going to be building my own coop it will be a stationary coop with they will be spending the majority of their time the coop will be a 4 x 4 in the run is 10 x 5 is this enough room for them

Not enough room. For five chickens you should have at least a 5 x 4 foot coop, if they are going to be in it most of the time even bigger. That isn't including nest boxes and roosts. The run size is ok. What breed are you planning on getting? Size of the birds makes a difference in planning.

This is what I'm building only with larger run

Ideally if they do have a run you should allow at least 4 square feet of useable floor space per chick in the coop. 10 Sq. Ft. / chicken in the run. Commercially sold coops are usually rated for twice the number of birds they can really handle. If they are packed in too tightly they may start pecking and fighting with each other.

Last edited:
For larger breeds (Barred Rock size or larger), you will need more than the standard 4 sq ft of coop and 10 sq of run per bird. Go as big as you possibly can. More room is always better than not enough.

Back
Top Bottom