1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this enough ventilation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LobsterPouch, Nov 27, 2016.

1. LobsterPouch

LobsterPouch Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    After deciding to build a chicken coop for my first time(with no plans) I have finished and only after I finished did I remember I needed a good amount of ventilation, however I'm hoping that the way I built the roof there will be enough. If not could you guys provide suggestions on where I could add some?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Not enough.

Shoot for 1 sq. ft. per bird.

I made the same mistake with a build. I put on a ridge vent, 2 small vents near the base of one wall (2" by 4') and 2 small windows. I put a hygrometer in there and the humidity inside was 20% higher humidity inside than out. I immediately cut the 2 windows much bigger from stud to stud.

Also, you want some natural light for your birds in the morning and for it to be inviting as nightfall approaches, not a dark black box.

Just get your circular saw, jigsaw or sawzall out and cut a couple big windows on the east wall.
    That will bring in the morning sun.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  3. LobsterPouch

LobsterPouch Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Alright thank you, I will try at doing that. I may also try and put some vents on the top of the back/front walls. Really don't want my first chicks getting sick.

4. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Found this pic off Google, hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by