Is this enough ventilation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sabianshepherds, Jul 8, 2011.

1. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    There are 2 approx 6x8 windows in the door, a 6 x12 vent in the side, and 2-3 inches around the roof that is just mesh. On the bottom under the nest box is an 1 1/2 inch gap I use to sweep poop out of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes, the 2-3 inches around the roof is great when combined with the 2 lower air intake sites and you have extra in the doors for really hot days.

[​IMG]

(Might want a winter wind flap to put down on the side(s) you get snow from most often - not to block the vents completely around the top, just to slow direct wind entering coop during storms.)

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks good, keep a eye on the interior temps and let that be your final grade. The interior should not be much different than outside

4. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Not sure. I've heard 1 SF per bird, so it depends on the size of your coop and how many birds are in it. I got by with a 6 inch by 6 foot vent at the top of mine (under an eve) and a 5x12 louvre vent on the other side for air flow. I've got 4 hens.

Good luck and enjoy.

5. Urbanchickenranchers

Urbanchickenranchers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Rochester, MN
    I'm trying to adress the very same thing...thanks for some insight!

6. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Quote:x2

7. sabianshepherds

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    thanks. I have a thermometer inside and I check it every night. I am worried about making any bigger openings, because I have one resourceful dog that won't leave the coop alone... He is trying very hard to smash through the plastic lattice on the run, and he's tried to lift the lid on the nest box, rip off the side vent...

i did get one of those roof vents from Home depot, but I haven't put it on yet, not looking forward to cutting a hole in a perfectly good roof.

8. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I don't think you should put the roof vent in. Doesn't seem like you need it.

9. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Is it in the sun at all? I'm worried that it will get too hot in there when the temps rise. The vents around the top was a good idea.

10. sabianshepherds

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Yes, back of the coop faces north, so it gets direct sun most of the day. There are no shade spots to put it under. But the chickens are not in the coop they are in the run under it in from about 5:45 am to 7:45pm. while they're roaming the back yard i usually open up the doors to make sure the poop dries and to let fumes out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by