Is this enough ventilation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AliNaz, Aug 2, 2013.

1. AliNaz

AliNaz Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Central Florida
    My coop is being built and I want to make sure I have enough ventilation added. I live in Florida so it's very hot in the summer and very mild in the winter. The coop will have openings like the one in the picture along all four sides. Is that enough?[​IMG]

2. Faso

Faso Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2012
    Pompton Lakes, NJ
    I don't live in Florida but i know how hot it gets. I think you are perfectly fine with what you are doing. They will be in that run most of the day and if it's SUPER hot they will go inside for shade.(or to lay eggs) Some people add a fan but I think you will be ok with what you are doing as air can pass in every direction.

Mike

3. AliNaz

May 24, 2013
    Central Florida
    Awesome! Thank you Mike [​IMG]

4. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Probably enough ventilation, but just make sure it isn't a "hot box" at night. We are in TX with similar climate. We have 3 sides partially solid and partially covered with hardware cloth. I walked out last night about 1 am and it was like walking into a sauna. Imagine being in a closed coop. Ugh!

5. AliNaz

May 24, 2013
    Central Florida
    I hope it won't be too hot.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I put a fan in my coop and it helps a lot. I have it on a timer so that it keeps cutting off for the motor to cool down periodically. I think you will be OK and you can add a fan if needed as faso said.

7. AliNaz

May 24, 2013
    Central Florida
    I don't think I could add a fan because there isn't any electricity in the coop. I hope they will be okay.

8. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    We ran an extension cord out to ours for a small fan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by