Is this enough ventilation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by heiditam, Aug 26, 2014.

1. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4x8

I can still some holes on side but don't want to unless have to.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Your coop looks great, too cute! And yes, I think you have plenty of ventilation.....except for one thing I spotted when I enlarged your photos:

You used plain old chicken wire over your windows....AAAaaaack!!

From your avatar/signature box I can't tell where you live, but seeing your coop is backing up against forested areas you need to please replace your wire with 1/2" hardware cloth only screwed in with fender washers. Why? Because predators (and trust me, you've got them even though you may not see them....yet) will tear through that chicken wire like it was butter. Absolutely useless against raccoon, weasel, skunk...you name it!

Just a heads up for you...I'd hate to see a post in the future from you titled "Help! Something Killed My Whole Flock!" ... please take my advice as it is intended...to help keep your flock safe and sound. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, that looks like a good amount of ventilation (though you can never have too much).

4. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    Thanks for the info. :) Yes! Agreed. :) Thank you. :) :) I have the hardware cloth ready to go on-its in the garage. :) Coop came this way--and I thought the same thing after reading all about it here-why do it that way!? Going to also add some better roosts on the inside. I just painted inside too, and going to paint outer to match house. :) This is fun! :)

5. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    YAY! :)

6. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Whew! So glad you didn't take my suggestion the wrong way! You say you're going to add some better roosts. What kind of setup are you planning on??? Reason I ask is if you are planning on changing them out why not try a roost bar/poop tray setup? BEST thing I ever did...here's a picture of mine:

[​IMG]

And at 70 years old, a single gal, I built this thing all by myself! The 'tray' is filled with Sweet PDZ Granular. Talk about easy-peasy for cleanup of night poops! I just take my kitty litter scoop (it's up there on the far left) scoop them up, takes about 3-4 minutes tops...DONE! And the coop smells so nice, too! My roost bar is removable, it hangs on those metal hanger things...easy removal for cleaning/replacing. Just an idea!

7. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    That is great! I love the idea of the tray but I plan on running a board lengthwise in the coop so it may be too large an area to tray...where did you get the metal hanger things? That is exactly what I need to set my board on. :)

8. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Don't forget...screw it in with fender washers.

9. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I just went to Ace Hardware and showed the guys (I took a small piece of 2 x 4 with me...I'm OCD that way) what I needed to do...they said "oh, you need a 'hanger', so off we went. At first they showed me the a-typical hanger where you put the 2x4 in "standing up" but I told them I had to lay mine FLAT...sure enough, they do make them and I bought 2...cheap also!

10. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    Thanks you :)

Will do-thanks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by