1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this enough ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by buff goose guy, May 16, 2016.

1. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Is this enough niacin to add into the start and grow for ducklings ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also are all the ingredients ok ?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How much is in a scoop? I cannot see that. Looks like they say 1 scoop per pound of feed.

My initial thoughts, before knowing the scoop volume are below.

1,000 mg niacin per pound of rooster booster. So one tenth of a pound would give 100 mg niacin, that would go into a gallon of water. But the directions are to add it to feed.

hmmm.

My Best Guess on Brewer’s Yeast Equivalents:

Okay, two tablespoons of brewer's yeast contains 10 mg of niacin, based on this page http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1323569/2

To convert the Storey's Guide recommended amount of niacin in water to how much brewer's yeast to put in food . . . The guesswork is in how much water a duckling actually ingests in a day. If a duckling actually drinks a half a cup of water a day, it would be getting (16 cups in a gallon, 32 half cups in a gallon . . . . 150 divided by 30, more or less) 5 mg of niacin from water with 150 mg niacin per gallon. Which would be about a tablespoon of brewer's yeast.

So if you think a ducking drinks more than that, then that would increase the amount of brewer's yeast added....

Many folks add a tablespoon of brewer's yeast per cup of food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by