Is this even a possibility?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Delmara, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Delmara

Delmara Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2016
    Wills Point, TX
    We have a half wrap around porch that my three chickens (Barred Rocks, 2 hens and a rooster named Raptor, around a year old) like to hang out under in the summer heat. Today, my father found a dead skunk under the porch. Do you think it just decided that was a good place to curl up and die or is it possible that my Raptor killed it?!? His aggressiveness has been hitting an all time high lately so I'm wondering.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I highly doubt your rooster killed it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Delmara

Jan 2, 2016
    Wills Point, TX
    Thank you, I thought it a bit unlikely but wanted to know if anyone else had ever heard of such a thing. Thank the Lord for protecting my babies then ^____^

4. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in this camp. Roosters can be pretty aggressive, but probably not THAT aggressive.

5. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    A skunk would have been able to get off a couple of "shots" before the rooster killed it. If the rooster, or the area around, doesn't stink the skunk probably died from something else.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This the time of year I see wildlife coming down with distemper. They get delirious making so they can be found in strange places dead or nearly so.

7. chicken scott

chicken scott New Egg

Jan 4, 2016
    My first rooster would kill rabbits. If he saw a rabbit he would take off after it like a dog. So yes a rooster can kill small animals.

8. Delmara

Jan 2, 2016
    Wills Point, TX
    [​IMG]

Meet Raptor and the gals.

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A rooster is quite lacking in the deadly weapons department. For a rooster to kill a skunk the skunk would have to hang around for a very long time while the roo pounded on the skunks noggin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by