is this exceptable for hatching eggs to be this dirty

akmustangman

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2015
Alaska
I ordered some eggs i am very disappointed with the

l

seller in the quality of the eggs i told her i never received any this dirty before.the seller says they are fine they are unwashed as they should be. i am the only complaint. i would like to apologize to her if i am wrong do these look ok for incubator?

It's personal preference rather or not to set dirty eggs. I see no issues in it, and most of the eggs I set look just like the ones you have pictured. (I'm not paying big bucks for my eggs though) The alternative is to wash them, or not set them at all. People wash eggs because they fear bacteria will kill the embryo, however the washing of eggs is what allows bacteria to enter the egg. So yes, I agree with your seller that eggs shouldn't be washed. Rather or not she should have shipped you dirty eggs... I don't think it will impact your hatch one way or another as eggs naturally get dirty.

i think there is lots of debate on this and wanted another opinion.i never seen them like this.i guess i just need to figure out how i well clean them another debate on whats best i know i don't want to put them in my incubator like this.

I think the main problem is the fact that if you are SELLING a product, it should be your best. Not just what you think are good enough for your own personal use. You are not only selling the product but your reputation as a seller as well. She HAD to have better eggs available. If not, she needs to collect her eggs more frequently to ensure the cleanest egg possible to sell. Next, she needs to learn how to properly pack and ship eggs.

I don't know. I wash all my hatching eggs with lukewarm water and a rag without soap. I haven't had any trouble with bacteria using this method, but its all up to your preference. I have seen stories about incubation that are successful with dirty eggs. Its all up to you.

I think the main problem is the fact that if you are SELLING a product, it should be your best. Not just what you think are good enough for your own personal use. You are not only selling the product but your reputation as a seller as well. She HAD to have better eggs available. If not, she needs to collect her eggs more frequently to ensure the cleanest egg possible to sell. Next, she needs to learn how to properly pack and ship eggs.
If you look, you'll see that there is an egg still packed in bubble wrap. I don't think the shipping was the issue. (correct me if I'm wrong here) The concern was the fact that the eggs were dirty. It's mud season. And, if a chicken happens to step in a chicken bomb on her way into the nest, there's going to be some poo on the egg(s). The seller could keep her chickens locked in the coop, and put down fresh shavings every morning, and there could still be some poo on them. Or she could let them out, and there will also be some mud. IMO, I'd rather receive eggs looking like this, than to receive eggs that are spotlessly clean. If they were spotless, I'd be fairly assured that they had been washed. If I'm going to incubate washed eggs, I'd like to do the washing myself, and know how and what they were washed with. It's kind of like buying a used car. I'd rather buy one that has a little bit of road rash than one that's just been freshly painted.

thank you for your opinion and you have a good point.my chickens mostly the eggs are very clean occasionally i have a dirty one but not all of them.and not that dirty.i ordered several different times and never seen them like this

I wish you the best with your hatch. The only area in my yard that's not currently covered with 2+' of snow right now is the shoveled paths. Since we just built a new coop, and the area around it has not been seeded yet, you can imagine that I have plenty of mud when the sun shines on the bare ground in front of the coop. Even with hay to cover the ground, it's a struggle. So, my eggs aren't as clean as they have been in the past. I'm struggling with the issue of whether to set them as they are, or to do some spot cleaning. I'm leaning towards spot cleaning.

i am for a little cleaning to would prefer not to get eggs like this what to do the seller really believes i am nuts the eggs are not dirty. is it half full or half empty?seems everyone feels different.

Back
Top Bottom