Is this eye worm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kawika Kaui, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Kawika Kaui

Kawika Kaui In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2018
    Just wanted to confirm if this is eye work and if so what are some good treatments?

Attached Files:

TropicalBabies likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I cannot tell what that is in the eye. Any other pictures? Where are you located? Many people in Hawaii and other tropical regions report having eyeworm. It is pretty rare otherwise. Treatment includes giving Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and repeat in 10 days. Also, take 1 ml of Valbazen, and mix with 1 ml of water, and instill in each eye. Repeat the eye medicine as well in 10 days.

TropicalBabies and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    TropicalBabies and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  5. TropicalBabies

TropicalBabies Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Hawaii
    Aloha Kawika,
    I just had an outbreak for the first time of eye worm. I've had my flock for a year and they do "free range" or wander our yard. May be the season??? I treated with Oxy Rid and that worked pretty good. My experience was that I could hardly see them. I noticed my chickens scratching also shaking their heads and blinking more like something was in their eye, my main girl would make a funny 'gack'. Your photo looks like she may have scratched her eye? Hard to tell. Are there any other signs, symptoms or strange behavior on her part? Any other chickens look or act suspect? They say treat your whole flock and my experience was more than one had a problem. Just one was the worst off. What Isle are you on? Kaui tells me Kauai or BI? Are you Westside? Harvey's and Aloha are good resources for Kauai. If eye worm, you want to deal with it. It can cause problems if left untreated. Check with your favorite feed store and tell, or show them whats going on and let us know how you do, share the wisdom.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. TropicalBabies

TropicalBabies Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Hawaii
    @Kawika Kaui ,
    Just saw your other post about your other chickens eye problem. Do your chickens free range? I would treat this as eye worm. The worms make the eye itchy, they scratch and get an infection, eye gets swollen and they can loose sight. They are a pretty crappy bug, easy for chickens to get and easy for us to rid them of. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: