Is this "failure to thrive?"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PunkinPeep, Aug 26, 2010.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    My chicks are hatching in the incubator right now. I haven't let them out yet.

One of the chicks who hatched last night appears to be perfectly alive except for his/her failure to get up and walk around. He just lies there in the "fetal" position, with his feet by his ears, and sometimes struggles around when one of the other chicks comes up and pecks him.

Do you think i can help him out when i move them to the brooder? Or is he doomed?

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Give him a day or so before writing him off. Make sure the other chicks aren't picking on him too much. He's probably just needing to rest for a bit. Maybe try giving him a drop or two of sugar water if he hasn't started hopping around after another 12 hours - it worked wonders for a weak and sickly chick I hatched out a few months back.

3. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Thanks! I'll do that!

4. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    [​IMG] Well? Update please! How has he got on since yesterday?

5. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Well, i helped him eat and drink and whatnot. I even did exercises with his legs to try to get him going, but i'm afraid he died early in the night. [​IMG]

Thanks for asking.

6. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    [​IMG] Oh dear, that's such a shame. Well at least you tried to help and you're not left thinking that he died because of something you didn't do...

7. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    oh my...sorry to hear that. it always is hard, especially when you try to help, and still nothing works [​IMG] sorry for your loss

8. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Thanks for the condolences. I'm ok. I'm actually kind of thankful. I would much rather they pass on their own than have to make the decision to put them down myself. So, in that light, it was a good thing. And he was only around for about a day, so he didn't suffer long.

I still have 22 healthy chicks out of 24 eggs from the 'bator, so i have a lot of sweet active chicks to keep me entertained. They're beautiful and perfect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by