Is this favus? Or pox? Pics. Hoping Speckledhen might see this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mountaintopchicken, Jul 21, 2008.

1. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    This little bantam Ameraucana hen has white spots on her comb. Otherwise, she acts healthy and looks healthy. No other chickens in the coop or in other coops have them. I've been googling possibilities - does this look like favus, or fowl pox?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I put anti-fungal cream on her comb this evening.

Edited to add: I did a search of this site on favus and saw that Speckledhen had a chicken that had favus. I'm hoping she might see this post, since she has experience with it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Hey. I have no idea as to what to tell you about the white areas on the chicken. I am posting to bump you up on the board. Also, try editing your title and putting HELP in all caps, it will draw more attention. I hope everything turns out okay, i will continue to follow your post.

3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

She looks like a sweety, I'll be interested in learning about this, too...did misquitoes bite her?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hi, it does not look like pox to me and not exactly like favus, either, although it is possible it's favus in the early stages. Could just be dry patches on the comb. Some of my girls get dry combs this time of year. I did have a rooster with favus(came to me with it after living in horrible wet conditions) and in addition to flaky patches of white, he had peeling skin on his face, wattles and comb. I'll go find pictures of that in a bit for you, if I can remember where they are. If so, it's just an anti-fungal you can treat with lotrimin or similar med for athlete's foot. Pine Grove may be able to help us here if he sees this. He's good at diagnosing stuff like this. Let me go find the pics for you.

EDITED TO ADD PICS: Found a couple for you. Poor Hawkeye was a mess. Its a miracle he didnt have some dread disease, but he just had lice, favus and malnutrition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  5. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Thank you Speckledhen! What a transformation between before and after on Hawkeye.

This morning i noticed that the spots are on just one side of her comb. Otherwise her comb looks healthy. Very strange.

After having anti-fungal cream on all night, the spots seem a tad less prominent, but maybe that's just because her comb was moisturized by the cream.

I'm going to continue with my fungal cream treatment given at night when she's all settled down for sleep. That way it will stay on for the whole night.

I wish I knew for sure what this was....

6. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

My roo has one spot like the white ones and a few black ones...any ideas on what it might be? I'm thinking favus or is it just pecking?

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

8. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thank you so much I am almost possitive it favus now...but what does the black spots mean? I think I read somewhere they turn to the white spots. Is this right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by