Is this feasible?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tanith BHH, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Tanith BHH

Tanith BHH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    I am thinking of getting a 2 - 3 bantams, either Dutch Bantams and/or Barbu d'anvers. They are going to be separate from my current large fowl. This probably won't make any sense, and it's difficult to describe, so please say if it doesn't! [​IMG] But I was just wondering how much space they would need in the run, and I was thinking of two floors, the top floor having access to a coop, with high enough sides to fill with woodchip, so I could double the space, like a very large rabbit hutch. But would they use the second floor like they would the ground floor? Or would they just use it to get to the coop, even if I scattered some seed there so they would want to scratch around, I mean, it's going to be quite high above the ground, so naturally they wouldn't really scratch that high.... So sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I'm a bit confused myself![​IMG]

Thanks in advance,
    Tani

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I would just build a smaller coop with 3x4 to 4x4 coop area and attached enclosed run. You can still stick it into your regular chicken yard. I am building something similar right now , a 3x4coop with covered 4x7 run.

3. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    [​IMG]I would just build a smaller coop with 3x4 to 4x4 coop area and attached enclosed run. You can still stick it into your regular chicken yard. I am building something similar right now , a 3x4coop with covered 4x7 run . Rusts what I have so far. On the left will be the covered run and s ramp to get down on the right a nesting box and a smaller service door in the back.

4. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Oh and excuse the mess. The garage is cramped with the harley, tools, drum set, free lumber....

5. Tanith BHH

Tanith BHH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    So sorry I haven't replied sooner, been rather busy! Your coop looks great. Ok I'm forgetting the idea of two floors![​IMG] Could I have a run 6 feet long by 2 1/2 feet wide by 3 feet tall for three bantams? The reason the measurements are so specific is I already have a coop and run this big which is empty, I use it as a hospital/separation coop if my hens get ill or if I'm introducing new birds, but I'm planning to use a dog cage for this anyway in future, so it's just sitting there. If I cleaned it and gave it a new paint would it be ok? The coop itself is quite small, I can't remember the exact dimensions but how small could it be for 2 to 3 bantams?
    Thank you!

6. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    I have bantams and it sounds like you could easily make use of this coop. The question is can you stop at 2-3 bantams?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by