Is this feather loss on neck molting or mites? PICS - would LOVE opinions!! THANKS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by guesswhatchickenbutt, Feb 18, 2014.

1. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    I have 3 hens in my little flock - one (GLW) molted recently and the other 2 have never molted. All are about 18 months old and we live in FL where we're having a mild winter :)

Two of my hens, a BA and a RIR, have bald necks. We have no rooster and they seem otherwise healthy and happy.

Of course I could only get blurry pics, but you can see their bald necks here. Is it the start of them molting or do I have my first ever mite problem? I know if it's mites I'm supposed to get sevin dust and dust them and their roost, right?? I guess I don't want to buy it and dust them if that's not the issue. I've peeked around their feathers and I don't see anything, but I know little mites and such are hard to see....

Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Looking back at photos, they've looked like this for about a month.

WWYD??

THANKS ALL!!!!!!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    There are a few types of mites. Some type lives on the bird and the other lives in the hen house and come out at night to feed on the birds. The type that live on the bird will lay eggs at the base of the feathers and they are whitish. The mite looks like a black dot about the size of a pepper flake. They make the feathers look grayish and ragged.. You can see the mites moving. At least I could when my girls had them. You might want to check for those signs and treat the house as well. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. Bbailey1

Bbailey1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    British Columbia, Canada
    Just wondering if you got this feather loss issue resolved ? And if you did, what did you do and with what ?

thank you !
    B

4. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    I did nothing and the feather loss is worse. Their necks are bald now - they look like naked-neck chickens. I guess I hate to use Sevin dust if they don't have mites bc adding a chemical to them and the coop on a hunch didn't seem like the way to go. I've searched them and I don't see anything on them. I'm at a loss and I feel terrible that they look worse each week. Maybe I should suck it up and try to find some of this Sevin dust and just do it.... but I think that means we have to throw out the eggs for a few weeks??

5. Bbailey1

Bbailey1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    British Columbia, Canada
    Oh no sorry to hear its not getting better!!!! It sounds like you don't really have any other option then to try dusting, if its mites, i believe they are very hard to see with the naked eye so mites still may be the problem. I don't think you have an egg withdrawal period when you dust... but I would go on here and confirm that with other BYC peeps !

Good luck, I would love to know if the dusting works, if you go that route ;)

B

6. Ann1986

Ann1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    I once had this, underneath the head of 1 chicken. It was because another one was plucking out the featers :/ don't know why. But it was closer to her head though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by