Is this feather pecking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JodyJo, Dec 26, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Can anyone tell me if this is just boredom and feather pecking, its only 2 of my girls...they free range, so no reason to be pecking each other as I see it.
    They look really bad, they are not molting, they are only about 10 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Looks like molting from my view.

3. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:aren't they too young? I thought the first molt was like at 18 months?

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

While the first molt is usually after their first full year, in late summer or fall, chickens can molt most any time of the year. That is new feather growth, after a molt......Pop

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  6. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado

While the first molt is usually after their first full year, in late summer or fall, chickens can molt most any time of the year. That is new feather growth, after a molt......Pop

ok then...I was worried they were being pecked at...they have free range of over 300+ acres, if they choose....so I would have been at wits end if they had been "bored"!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They are molting. That is their feathers starting to come back in. During their first year they will molt a few times. Some molts you will notice and other you won't except you will see feathers.

8. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Looks like molt. Feather picking breaks in half and sometimes bleeding... [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Somewhere I read there is often or usually a mini molt around 9 months, and I have seen this with mine several times. That is definitely the way feathers look when coming back in after a molt, and not the way they would look if it were feather picking or heavy pecking.

Very good pics -- they definitely tell the story.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yep, molting. Heres a photo of a 9 month Jersey Giant pullet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seemed to happen over night and progress rapidly. Since my entire flock are the same age, it appears I have a bunch of naked-neck-wannabes in my group! Not attractive at all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by