Is this feather picking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinakevin, Dec 7, 2016.

1. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Hi all I am wondering if this is feather picking or something else. My silkies are 8 months old and this summer they had beautiful puffy heads but I recently noticed that 3 of my 4 don't have that puff any more. They r in a 4 x 8 coop with 2 bantam ee and 1 leghorn. They have a covered run that 8 x 15. Are they too crowded or r they molting or something else. I have checked for bugs and they r all clean from that. No mites as I have checked the coop at night several times. Please any input would be appreciated
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    [​IMG]

3. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    [​IMG]

4. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    [​IMG]

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are you feeding? Might be feather picking if they aren't getting enough protein in their diet.
    Are they laying? Could be that a more dominant bird is just getting frustrated with how long they take to lay their eggs.

6. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I feed them layer pellets. Lus I give them meal worms and scratch grains. They are all laying and I've never had this happen before. My other hens that r lf are fine 5 of them I have had for almost 2 years and the others r the same age as the bantams but they r in a much larger coop but I have more of them

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The space seems fine for a mostly bantam flock. I'm betting it's either an impatient, dominant hen pecking them while they are sitting, trying to lay; or a protein related issue. Layer feed has just enough protein in it to support production, but cut it with scratch, and you reduce the overall protein intake. It takes a lot of mealworms to offset the scratch. You may want to try switching to a feed with at least 20% protein content.

8. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Sometimes Silkies are the recipients of feather picking even if the flock is being fed an appropriate diet. I've had a couple of just plain old nasty hens who picked my Silkies just for the fun of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by