Is this feed ok?

RookieChickyMom

Chirping
Aug 2, 2018
Orange County, CA
IMG_20180920_203208.jpg

Somewhat new to raising chickens and when I bought my chicks(my babies will be for eggs only) I bought a 25lbs bag of purina medicated starter/grower. I've been looking for Purina brand feed and the only store that may have is a 45min drive away. I found a feed store 10 mins away so I drove there, asked the lady "I have 5 pullets between the ages of 9 weeks to 14 weeks, obviously not laying yet :) what's the best thing I can feed them?" And she gave me this "quick gro" crumble I didn't start checking the ingredients and nutritional values til I got home, but I still don't know if it's what I should be using? Any help would be appreciated. Also I'm in (central) Orange County, California:frowif anyone can recommend a good feed to place

Without a complete analysis (a quick search shows exactly what you have up, but nothing more detailed) all that I can say is that it looks a little high in protein to me. They don't need that much. Partially because it's more cost-efficient, partially because digested protein stinks, I prefer to stick with 16-18% for the age range you describe. The feed is also a bit higher in fat than I like. I really do not like how they don't have the nutritional analysis up.

That said, I don't think the feed will hurt them, especially if they're game-type birds, which prefer a bit more protein and fat anyway. If they're a more sedentary breed (such as buff orpingtons) you might want to look into a feed with less fat in it when you're done with this bag.

Without a complete analysis (a quick search shows exactly what you have up, but nothing more detailed) all that I can say is that it looks a little high in protein to me. They don't need that much. Partially because it's more cost-efficient, partially because digested protein stinks, I prefer to stick with 16-18% for the age range you describe. The feed is also a bit higher in fat than I like. I really do not like how they don't have the nutritional analysis up.

That said, I don't think the feed will hurt them, especially if they're game-type birds, which prefer a bit more protein and fat anyway. If they're a more sedentary breed (such as buff orpingtons) you might want to look into a feed with less fat in it when you're done with this bag.

Thank you for your response. I couldn't find a full analysis :/ and also thought the fat was a little high. I do have one BO she's the youngest at 9 weeks, I also have a SLW & an EE 10 weeks old, and a Barred Rock & Welsummer 14 weeks. Any recommendations for the next bag?

I tend to find what's cheapest in the protein range I need.

Since you only have five birds, then I would go with Purina--they're noted for having really good formulae--and try for a slightly higher protein percentage. 18% should be good until they begin laying, and then 18-20% layer (or all-flock with calcium on the side. Whatever floats your boat.) Heritage birds, on average, need about two or three percent more protein than production birds such as ISAs. What you'll usually find is 16%, which is adequate, but not good.

3% fat is a good minimum, especially considering you have a Buff; they're a little prone to fatty liver.

I must second the observation that the % of protein is a little high. Also notice that the label mentions "Broiler Chickens. I would recomend that you feed starter grower as your 2nd feed and then transition to a good 18% protein all flock feed. That will allow you to feed a LIMITED amount of treats once your hens start laying and you can still maintain your nutrition level.

I must second the observation that the % of protein is a little high. Also notice that the label mentions "Broiler Chickens. I would recomend that you feed starter grower as your 2nd feed and then transition to a good 18% protein all flock feed. That will allow you to feed a LIMITED amount of treats once your hens start laying and you can still maintain your nutrition level.
Yup, I saw that too.:barnie the bag has feeding instructions that say how much a "broiler, dual purpose, and eggs only" bird should be fed. Ic an take a pic after work..
Should I not feed this bag to the girls? I've already opened it:confused:

Feed it but add something without as much protein to water down the protein.

The good thing about chickens and protein is that if your hens eat too much protein they will expel what they can't use in their manure.

The bad thing about chickens and protein is that the excess protein will produce ammonia and no one likes smelling ammonia.

Well except for me. I am an old chicken farmer and like Robert Duvall, I love the smell of napalm and ammonia in the morning. Both smells like money.

View attachment 1539797
Somewhat new to raising chickens and when I bought my chicks(my babies will be for eggs only) I bought a 25lbs bag of purina medicated starter/grower. I've been looking for Purina brand feed and the only store that may have is a 45min drive away. I found a feed store 10 mins away so I drove there, asked the lady "I have 5 pullets between the ages of 9 weeks to 14 weeks, obviously not laying yet :) what's the best thing I can feed them?" And she gave me this "quick gro" crumble I didn't start checking the ingredients and nutritional values til I got home, but I still don't know if it's what I should be using? Any help would be appreciated. Also I'm in (central) Orange County, California:frowif anyone can recommend a good feed to place

Typically meat birds are grown on a higher protein than laying hens. I would not use. Chickens max protein is usually 20% starter grower medicated till 8 weeks then can come off the medicated feed and wean the protein to 18%. At layer age may wean to 16% protein. I would stick with Purina starter grower personally.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom