Is this fermented food safe to give to my chicks?

SJchickens

Songster
Mar 13, 2015
Long Island, NY
2 days ago, I filled up a mason jar with starter crumbles, and filled it with water to make fermented feed. I've heard it strengthens the immune system. 2 days later, it's overflowing! Also, it has the consistency of thick oatmeal. Does this indicate that air got in? Should I throw away the feed? I want to make sure it's safe before I give it to my chicks. What's the best way to tell?

Please respond quickly because it's getting all over the place!

Last edited:
It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. Warning: When making fermented food, allow at least enough room for it to expand by 1/3 if not 1/2. Either divide it into 2 containers, or put it into a bigger container. Stirring it down a bit will help, but it won't stop the process. You want that bubbling action!

For brooding chicks:
Once it gets thick and bubbling I add a splash more water since it is in the brooder with the chicks and the heat lamp dries it out quickly. When I have two meals worth left I add more feed and water and let it ferment. Since it has the starter in it goes pretty quick and is fermented in a couple hours.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom