Is this fishy?-Selling Marans roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CarolinaSkies, Feb 19, 2014.

1. CarolinaSkies

CarolinaSkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    I have 5 or 6 extra splash and blue copper Marans roosters that I posted on craigslist for $15.00 each, only expecting to sell a couple. However, someone wants to buy them all at $15.00 each, sight unseen. I asked what they were using them for and was told for breeding. That's fine, the freezer is even fine, but who would pay $15.00 for the freezer?

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  2. kingfrodo

kingfrodo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2013
    Enterprise, AL
    that's a tough one.

I would just ask what are their intentions with the roosters. Laugh it off and say you have no idea why someone would want that many. if there is a long pause, it's b/c he's thinking of a good reason. I wouldn't sell to him. It does seem fishy to me too.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What are you suspecting his intentions are?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Maybe they plan on buying them all, picking out the best for their breeding flock and selling the rest.

Maybe they think Marans are the best tasting chickens around and are willing to pay that much for dinner.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

My point is, you won't know unless you ask. And since the birds still belong to you, you have every right to be concerned about what happens to them.

I've met some real strange folks via Craigslist, but most of them have been very nice and still keep in touch with me to buy more birds or to let me know how what they bought is doing. I met one of my BESTEST chicken friends thru a Craigslist add. She came to my house to buy 5 roosters. Why did she need 5 roos? She didn't, but she wanted the best rooster possible for breeding and buying them all gave her a better chance at getting what she was looking for. Good luck!

5. CarolinaSkies

Jun 13, 2012
    So true. I did ask and was told that they would be for breeding which is what threw me, especially because they don't have Marans hens. I'm used to people coming and looking at the roos and then selecting 1 that looks like it will meet their needs. Or if they want them for the freezer, they bargain for multiple roos at a lower price. This one just seemed a bit off, so I thought that I might be missing something.

6. CarolinaSkies

Jun 13, 2012
    Sorry, rule #14 of the BYC rules keeps me from directly stating my fears.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Anyone who wants to give me $15 each for my cull cockerels is my new best friend. What they do with their new chickens is none of my business.

PS-anyone who buys Marans for cock fighting is a fool in case that's your concern. They would be less than useless for that purpoe.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This is kinda my thinking, also. I just gave away 3 young roosters and was happy I didn't have to pay someone to take them! course, mine are mixed breed birds, so I'm never expecting money for them. I'd have given her all of them except my honey decided he'd rather butcher some than give them away.

9. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Someone contacted me wanting to buy a rooster for a "friend" as a birthday present/joke. They knew nothing about chickens, and had no place to keep him. I didn't let them have the roo.

10. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Maybe they bought 50 red sex link chicks last spring and are now getting lots of infertile eggs and their customers are wanting fertile eggs, plus, they want to hatch some replacement chicks that will lay pretty eggs and with good eating roosters.

Buying 5 roos for that case would make perfect sense to me -- but I would try to negotiate a better price from you ;)

The point is, you just don't know. Maybe you don't want to, or maybe you do. Ask if you want, or just take their money say thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by