Is this food ok for newly hatched chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kvmommy, May 24, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I used a different brand of chick starter and it was powdery and soft. I bought a differnt brand of chick starter because it was medicated and it looks much bigger and harder. LIke large crumbles of granola. I don't know if my chicks can eat it. Is that ok for chicks? It says starter. Hmmm...

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They'll eat either one. The larger granola type is called crumbles and most of us feed it just fine.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Fred's Hens :

They'll eat either one. The larger granola type is called crumbles and most of us feed it just fine.

+1 well said​

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It's fine. The first kind is called "mash" and the second is "crumbles". Crumbles are just mash that has been pressed into pellets and then crushed. It breaks back down rapidly when mixed with saliva.

ETA: and you'd be surprised at how large food pieces can be relative to the size of the bird. I've watched 3-week old chicks eat whole cicadas...

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  5. Waddling_Wamplers

Waddling_Wamplers Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    most of the people i have talked to actually prefer the larger crumble type to the "mash". I have been using the crumbles and my 1 week old chicks are doing quite well on it. hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by